Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Outer Circle > Site Feedback > Auction Feedback and Support [Archived]

Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:30 PM // 17:30   #21
Hollerith
Lion's Arch Merchant

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Why all the broken images in the Auctions?

I made a few auctions last night, and the images were working properly. Now they're all broken. Did I do something wrong?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:45 PM // 18:45   #22
Quaker
Hell's Protector

Guild: Brothers Disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuldig
Users like me (personally I don't want to load yet another page) most likely won't click on them anyway. That means there's an amount of people that will find such auctions less attractive and maybe go away.
Don't know exactly what you mean here. When I say to use "links", that's during the process of posting the auction - where you have the option of directly uploading a picture or to use a link to it. The pictures end up in the same part of the auction screen - there's no extra page to load. I would assume, in fact that it's basically the same as when you "imbed" pictures in the description.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:35 PM // 19:35   #23
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Guild: Gems of Destiny
Profession: D/

It all depends what kind of link is being used.... currently the link area in the posting process requires a direct image link, and actually uploads the picture to the auction server, where it then is as vulnerable to break as an image loaded from your computer.

If you know something I don't Quaker, I'd love for you to share.....
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:28 PM // 23:28   #24
Quaker
Hell's Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynthyst
It all depends what kind of link is being used.... currently the link area in the posting process requires a direct image link, and actually uploads the picture to the auction server, where it then is as vulnerable to break as an image loaded from your computer.

If you know something I don't Quaker, I'd love for you to share.....
Well, none of my auctions have broken image links, if that helps. If you visit my store, Quak-E-Mart, you'll see there are no broken images. (If on the off chance there are any, it's because my ISP is down )

The posting process does not require a direct image link. You can put a URL into the box below the direct image link box - the only secret is, you still have to click on "Upload Image" - but what it actually does is put the URL in the auction listing.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:34 AM // 10:34   #25
Schuldig
Frost Gate Guardian

Profession: N/

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/s...php?t=10224585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker
Don't know exactly what you mean here.
"See image and stats here: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Mallyx%27s_Edge"

That in an auction is a link to another page that must be loaded if you're interested in skin and stats (unless you know it by heart).
Those kind of links popped up since images don't work reliable (<--- hope that's the right word).

Last edited by WLlama; Jan 22, 2008 at 09:51 PM // 21:51..
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:43 AM // 11:43   #26
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Ok... here's what Quaker is trying to say... (and I was wrong Quaker, all my linked pics are working fine now)

Below the space where you would normally upload a picture from your computer, there is a box for a URL instead. If you go to the wiki page, or wherever on the internet you may have uploaded pictures (photobucket or imageshack for examples) and copy the URL of that page or image into that box and click on Upload image, it doesn't actually upload the image to the server, it just directs it to that image. The image will now show up as a thumbnail in the auction. If you have multiple images you wish to display, you just have to repeat the process. You are allowed 4 images. These types of images do not break, because they don't affect the load balance on the Guru servers.

You can go to any of my auctions to see I have working thumbnails on everything.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:09 PM // 16:09   #27
Quaker
Hell's Protector

To further clarify - not only do the thumbnails not break that way, but, of course, the full picture also shows up in the auction description.

EDIT: I'm not sure, though, what happens if you use one of the places like "imageshack" or "photobucket" - they may still pop-up another page. I use webspace I have on my ISP.

(Schuldig - it would be reliably in that context.)

Last edited by Quaker; Dec 20, 2007 at 04:12 PM // 16:12..
Old Dec 24, 2007, 09:11 PM // 21:11   #28
Schuldig
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
it doesn't actually upload the image to the server, it just directs it to that image.
Honestly? You leech other server's bandwidth? -.-
I thought it gets uploaded to the auction server, just like pics from hd too.
Okay, since I'm a member of GuildWiki aswell I will download their pics from now on and upload it from my hd -.-

Shields > Tactics > Militia Shield
also in Collectors category

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Militia_Shield

Last edited by WLlama; Jan 22, 2008 at 09:51 PM // 21:51..
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:13 PM // 22:13   #29
Rudhraighe O'Hagan
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: The Adventurers Society
Profession: Mo/Me

Quote:
"See image and stats here: http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Mallyx%27s_Edge"

That in an auction is a link to another page that must be loaded if you're interested in skin and stats (unless you know it by heart).
Those kind of links popped up since images don't work reliable (<--- hope that's the right word).
None of Guild Wiki's "GREEN" item photos will work strait from wiki because they are saved as Mallyx's_Edge.xxx We all know that /Auction cannot handle the ' symbol i have copied and renamed the images i need without the ' or the %27 to a unlimited bandwidth account i have for example:

h ttp://.../GuildWars/Chiggens_Shortbow.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Chungs_Focus.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Flints_Artifact.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Galigords_Stone_Scroll.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Garboks_Chalice.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Gordacs_Hook_Blood.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Gwens_Flute_Unique_Item.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Illyanas_Staff.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Kanaxais_Axe.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Kepkhets_Refuge.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Kerrshs_Staff.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Konrrus_Fervor.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Malinons_Shield.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Milius_Eye.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Milius_Pillar.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Mohbys_Artifact.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Rams_Hammer.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Sskais_Sword.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Tanzits_Defender.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Thorgalls_Shield.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Vahlens_Vow.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Victos_Bulwark.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Villnars_Glove.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Wenslauss_Faith.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Wroths_Icon.jpg
h ttp://.../GuildWars/Zehtukas_Shortbow.jpg

this prevent's any "Breakage" in my auction images
For all other images i upload the url strait from guildwiki and have not had any image problems for a loooong time and all my images have been working fine thru 3 software changes ~Rud

Last edited by Rudhraighe O'Hagan; Dec 24, 2007 at 10:44 PM // 22:44..
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:57 PM // 23:57   #30
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Quote:
Shields > Tactics > Militia Shield
also in Collectors category
The collector version of this skin is pvp only and therefore not tradeable. The only tradeable version comes from GW:EN drops/chests. So listing it as a collector item is not valid.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 04:26 AM // 04:26   #31
npbiles66
Frost Gate Guardian

Profession: W/Mo

Just don't use thumbnails or images at all, that's what I do. It takes too long to take a screen-shot and format it into a picture anyway. It's much faster to simply type in a full description of the item

For example:
-----------------------
I am selling the Tyrian "Break Hammer" skin.

Here is the description:
  • Break Hammer of Hammer Mastery
  • Blunt Dmg: 19-35 (Requires 9 Hammer Mastery)
  • Damage +15% (while Health is above 50%)
  • Hammer Mastery +1 (20% while using skills)

Happy bidding!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:07 AM // 08:07   #32
Njaiguni Blaze
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: The Biggyverse [PLEB]
Profession: Me/

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbiles66
Just don't use thumbnails or images at all, that's what I do. It takes too long to take a screen-shot and format it into a picture anyway. It's much faster to simply type in a full description of the item

For example:
-----------------------
I am selling the Tyrian "Break Hammer" skin.

Here is the description:
  • Break Hammer of Hammer Mastery
  • Blunt Dmg: 19-35 (Requires 9 Hammer Mastery)
  • Damage +15% (while Health is above 50%)
  • Hammer Mastery +1 (20% while using skills)

Happy bidding!
Pictures are more appealing though, and show the skin. But, I standardly put in a link to the GWW now. Oh, I also noticed, as soon as an item of mine gets a bid, that's when the pic disappears.

Tbh, it's getting real annoying now... Out of the 22 auctions I posted, i had to re-upload 10+ pictures of several times. Any word on if/when this is getting fixed?

Edit: That's weird, pictures seem to have come back magically. Out of nowhere! :|

Edit: Images broken again. Seems not to matter how many times I upload them.

Last edited by WLlama; Jan 22, 2008 at 09:52 PM // 21:52..
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:43 AM // 03:43   #33
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njaiguni Blaze
Images broken again. Seems not to matter how many times I upload them.
If you read previous posts in this thread, you will understand that re-uploading pictures is not going to solve the problem.

The only way to have pictures show up as thumbnails is to have them hosted elsewhere and then direct the auction to them via a link.

This is a server load balance issue that is not going to be solved in the near future. We do apologize for the inconvenience.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 04:16 PM // 16:16   #34
Schuldig
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
The collector version of this skin is pvp only and therefore not tradeable. The only tradeable version comes from GW:EN drops/chests. So listing it as a collector item is not valid.
I don't understand. You can get Militia Shields from collectors in EotN, they can drop from chests. So they're normal drops and collector items just as any other normal drops and collector items.
I sold ~10 Militia Shields from a collector in a dungeon (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Pathfinder_Mia) here already. It even is upgradeable with an inscription.

BTW did I post in the wrong thread? XD
Should be in missing categories.

@Njaiguni Blaze
Upload your pictures on ImageShack and use the link for the thumbnails, also you can directly insert a picture (also uploaded on some other file hoster) within the description. That one will never disappear (unless your hoster is down), also the thumbnails with external pictures (not uploaded on the Guru server) stay to 99%.

If you often add auctions you should use ImageBot for Firefox (uploads an manages pictures for ImageShack and PhotoBucket).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:24 PM // 18:24   #35
Quaker
Hell's Protector

Quote:
Honestly? You leech other server's bandwidth? -.-
Actually, from an experience I recently had, it may be only partially a "leech". (And, of course, I'm not leeching off my ISP, they willfully provided me with the webspace.)

Recently I went to post an item for auction on Guru which was similar to an item I had just sold a few days before. The picture for the auction had the same name as the previous one, but it was not the same picture. However, the old picture kept coming up instead of the new one, so I had to change the name of the new picture so it would show up.

This leads me to think that Guru uploads the picture to it's server even from a remote link. Perhaps the difference is that, if it can't find the picture locally, it will go to the external link to get the picture again instead of leaving it as a "broken" link.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:16 AM // 03:16   #36
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't understand. You can get Militia Shields from collectors in EotN, they can drop from chests. So they're normal drops and collector items just as any other normal drops and collector items.
I sold ~10 Militia Shields from a collector in a dungeon (http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Pathfinder_Mia) here already. It even is upgradeable with an inscription.
Ok... my mistake... when I was researching the categories, I didn't find that particular collector reference. That being said, we have not listed every skin that is available as a collector skin. If you are selling a Militia shield that you got from a collector, you SHOULD list it as a collector shield, it just won't be skin specific. If we listed every skin that is available from collectors, we would only create the same kinds of problems with the server as have occurred previously.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:57 AM // 11:57   #37
EndlessDivination
Jungle Guide

Guild: [SNOW], duh?
Profession: Mo/
Arrow

Quote:
If you read previous posts in this thread, you will understand that re-uploading pictures is not going to solve the problem.

The only way to have pictures show up as thumbnails is to have them hosted elsewhere and then direct the auction to them via a link.

This is a server load balance issue that is not going to be solved in the near future. We do apologize for the inconvenience.
Do you think deleting Sold/Closed auctions WOULD help? If so maybe you should put that as some kind of "Site News"
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:22 PM // 17:22   #38
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

I don't believe that would solve the problem.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:42 PM // 17:42   #39
Schuldig
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
If you are selling a Militia shield that you got from a collector, you SHOULD list it as a collector shield
Yeah ok, no biggie. It sells pretty well where it is =)
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:09 PM // 22:09   #40
necromania
Pre-Searing Cadet

Guild: Black Nova Freelance Assoication
Profession: N/Me
Talking WTH is Broken images and how to fix.??

i have uploaded pictures of weapons (for my guru store) from my computer so as to let the buyer see wat thr getting, and its seems the stay ok for while, then they wind up turning into broken images.???? i am getting the thumnails(images) off wiki-GW. i wud lke to know how to keep them from turning into broken images or fix them wen they do pls????.

Share This Forum!