Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:46 PM // 22:46   #1
Henchman
Frost Gate Guardian

Profession: Mo/
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Salvage Kit Error

The bug is as follows:
Consume a salvage kit until it has only 1 salvage remaining.
Double-click the salvage kit in order to active the salvage option.
Then, as fast as you can, click an item you want to salvage, and immediatley double-click the salvage kit again (as if you intend on using the salvage kit again). In order to be quick enough, place the salvage kit and the item next to each other.

This will produce the error "Guild Wars cannot complete the operation, please try again later" (error 10).
Speed is what causes the bug, as the status of the salvage takes a second or so to update.

This happens to me quite a lot, because I salvage lots of hydra claws into scales, so I preform the clicks as quickly as possible.

(forgive me if this has been posted, I cannot preform searches..)
Old Mar 01, 2007, 12:08 AM // 00:08   #2
Commander Ryker
Site Contributor

Profession: R/

Never heard of it. All I can say is slow down.
Old Mar 01, 2007, 12:13 AM // 00:13   #3
Wrath Of Dragons
Burninate Stuff

Profession: E/Mo

Excellent post. Checking now

Edit: Tested, confirmed, moving to "outstanding"
Old Mar 02, 2007, 02:16 AM // 02:16   #4
Divinus Stella
Desert Nomad

Guild: Steel Phoenix

Its not just with 1 use remaining, if you have a stack of things you want to salvage like demonic remains you will get this error just for salvaging too fast.

This happened to me, i asked in alliance chat and a few others were having the same thing, the only explaination i got was that it was an anti-bot measure, doesnt really make sense.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 08:49 AM // 08:49   #5
Henchman
Frost Gate Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinus Stella
Its not just with 1 use remaining, if you have a stack of things you want to salvage like demonic remains you will get this error just for salvaging too fast.

This happened to me, i asked in alliance chat and a few others were having the same thing, the only explaination i got was that it was an anti-bot measure, doesnt really make sense.
Perhaps the bug you are reffering to is a different one, because I salvage my items very quickly and nothing happens to me.
The explanation for the error I posted is quite simple (for a student of computer sciences anyways):
When you salvage an item, the system has to remove the salvaged item, and create the new item (the result of the salvage). As for the salvage kit, its remaining counter needs to be decreased by 1, or if the counter is already 1, then the kit is to be deleted.
This transaction takes a second or so to complete.
Therefore, during this time frame, the salvage kit is still in existance, and therefore can be doubleclicked for usage again.
However once the transaction is complete, the salvage kit is no longer in existance, and thus the attempt to use it again produces an error.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 09:10 AM // 09:10   #6
Diddy bow
Furnace Stoker

Guild: looking for one :p
Profession: A/D

Yea i remember having this once :/
Old Mar 06, 2007, 11:57 AM // 11:57   #7
h2holbro22
Lion's Arch Merchant

Guild: Dark Angel from the Underworld (Evil)
Profession: W/Mo

Never had any trouble with it and hopefully I never do :Þ
Old Mar 08, 2007, 02:41 PM // 14:41   #8
lundis
Frost Gate Guardian

Guild: The Monstrous Fangs [fang]
Profession: Me/

That happened to me too..(at the end of urgoz warren :S)
Old Mar 09, 2007, 03:03 AM // 03:03   #9
stuart392
Pre-Searing Cadet

Guild: key of anubis
Profession: W/N

hi all iv been that before
Old Mar 09, 2007, 04:11 PM // 16:11   #10
Soul of the Scythe
Krytan Explorer

Guild: Higher Order [HO]
Profession: D/

This seems to be more of a case of people clicking too fast. It's only a problem because people are making it a problem by clicking too fast. Slow down and there is no problem, unless I'm missing something. A glitch like this can happen in almost any game if you click too fast and overload the system.

Does this happened with ID kits as well?

I can't honestly consider this a glitch because it can be solved by the player. Just slow down and the problem is solved. Again, unless I'm missing something.
Old Mar 09, 2007, 04:20 PM // 16:20   #11
Plague
Krytan Explorer

Profession: N/E

I'm on dial up (yes, we exist) and if I salvage things they take a second to disappear, so if I move too fast and salvage three things at once before the first item vanishes, I get d/ced.

Pretty annoying. I thought it was a dial up issue. I had no idea this manner of retardedness extended into the world of broadband, abroad.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 05:48 AM // 05:48   #12
The Dark Paragon
Pre-Searing Cadet

i dont see how you guys can call this a bug -_- its just because what someone already mentioned where the game takes a few seconds to understand what just happened so of course there is going to be an error just slow down and it wont happen again
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:37 AM // 10:37   #13
Hell Raiser
Forge Runner

Guild: [PHNX]

it is not really a bug, the best they could do is add a "Warning" that says the kit has 1 use left (like the ones that say "Are you sure you want to sell...").

I know very little about how games like this work, but if I was to guess I would think that when you use the last use of a salvage, the code for the salvage is removed(or simply moved). What happens if you are able to click the kit before the server can process moving/removing it? you go to salvage another item, and the code is no longer there and an error occurs.

I have had this happen to me 2-3 times, I have learned since to not only slow down, but check my salvages left each (or every so often) time I use it. Again, I don't think it is really a bug but rather people moving too quickly.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:03 AM // 00:03   #14
Oren The Destroyer
Lion's Arch Merchant

This bug thoroughly pisses me off and needs to be fixed. I Don't salvage that fast and it still happened to me.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:13 AM // 03:13   #15
Tadpole Lord
Academy Page

Guild: The Almighty Spartans [Spar]
Profession: R/Me

This happens to me all the time, it gets really annoying really fast. Anytime I try and salvage something while I'm still in "mid salvage" of something else, it boots me out. Doesn't happen if you're on a really fast connection, so I see how people wouldn't notice it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:35 AM // 03:35   #16
Kuldebar Valiturus
Desert Nomad

Guild: The Order of Relumination (TOoR)

Yes, this "bug" has been with us for the last 6 months at least.

It possibly could be fixed via some code tweaking. The Error and disconnect that occurs when you attempt another salvage operation before the preceding item has been completely salvaged is understandable. It's an illegal operation, basically.

Perhaps, ANet can add a queue system to the salvage process in order to prevent this problem.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:56 PM // 20:56   #17
max gladius
Yep, really is me...

Guild: L33t

my guild kept making fun of me cause of this in middle of missions....

very very tested and proven....

now i never finish off salvage kit if in mission, speed doesnt effect it on me, i started with just 1 use left in a kit and got error of 10 for it...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:43 AM // 08:43   #18
lordpwn
Krytan Explorer

I can confirm this. This has happened to me before and in fact, just caused a significant loss of progress when I tried to make some room in my inventory in the Undercity

Telling people to slow down isn't the answer, I've caused this error numerous times without any effort, and can reproduce it ~99% of the time if I'm actually trying to.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:32 AM // 11:32   #19
Onarik Amrak
Grotto Attendant

Guild: Astral Revenants
Profession: P/W

Sounds like built in hacker/bot/exploit defense to me because what you're trying to do is squeeze an extra salvage out of a kit that only has 1 use left.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:54 AM // 11:54   #20
Poison Ivy
Forge Runner

Guild: Hopping
Profession: Mo/A

Yeah also happens to me all the time, but I thought it was because my ping is always 600+

BTW, is it the same with ID Kits?

Share This Forum!