Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Outer Circle > Site Feedback

Old May 09, 2012, 07:38 PM // 19:38   #1
Dayquil
Lion's Arch Merchant

Profession: D/
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default New topic character limit

Dumb question, but I'm trying to make a VERY large WTS thread in the SELL forum, but I can't tell if there is a character limit. Seems when I try to copy/paste what I have so far and preview, I get a 500 Internal Error EVERY time. However, if I just post portions, no problems.

Just not sure if maybe I'm posting over the character limit, or there is just some funkyness going on with big new posts?

Any ideas?

/EDIT

For what it's worth, which might be part of the reason, the WTS post will have 2 large tables(30-40 lines), 7-8 medium sized tables(10-25 lines) and 3 small tables(1-10/15 lines).

Last edited by Dayquil; May 09, 2012 at 07:48 PM // 19:48..
Dayquil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2012, 10:24 PM // 22:24   #2
Dayquil
Lion's Arch Merchant

/EDIT

It started to happen again from home comp, then worked fine. Still hoping someone can give some ideas.

Last edited by Dayquil; May 10, 2012 at 01:09 AM // 01:09..
Old May 10, 2012, 03:10 AM // 03:10   #3
Marty Silverblade
Lazy by Default

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I'll share two things I've found over my six or so years.

1 - If you try to send a PM that contains more than 7000 characters, it won't let you. It won't be a scary 500 Internal Error like you're getting; it's one of those 'sorry, we can't let you submit because you did something wrong'. Basically like when you're trying to register for something and forgot to fill out a required section in the form. Use Microsoft Word (or whichever word processor you prefer) to check the number of characters. Perhaps getting it under 7000 may fix the problem.

2 - A long time ago, probably late 2006 or 2007 I wrote a Warrior guide (a much revised version of which is still stickied, though in desperate need of another update). When I posted it originally it was ok, but then when I edited it to add a new section the forum screwed up and deleted all the text (putting it over 7k characters perhaps?). The only way around it was to post the guide across multiple posts. If you can't get the posting to work, try posting half the content and posting the rest as the first reply. I'd make sure to PM cosyfiep first just to make sure she knows what's going on (ventari rules are particularly strict - you don't want to risk ban time for a misunderstanding).
Old May 10, 2012, 03:51 AM // 03:51   #4
Dayquil
Lion's Arch Merchant

Cool. Thanks for the reply. It seems to have sort of situated itself out somehow. I was able to make my giant post, but editing it I had to do in wordpad, then copy/paste over.

Seems to be "fixed" for now. Never thought about counting the characters for 7k though.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:26 AM // 05:26   #5
cosyfiep
are we there yet?

Guild: guild? I am supposed to have a guild?
Profession: Rt/

yeah, we have had a few problems with larger posts--usually involving tables (there is another thread here about it....will edit it in when I am done and found it).

but yeah, if you have issues, its probably a typo someplace (an extra [ or " can throw the whole thing off).

edit: http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/u...t10495784.html
Old May 10, 2012, 03:16 PM // 15:16   #6
Dayquil
Lion's Arch Merchant

Yeah, I noticed a bunch of missing ['s, that might have been it. Got my post up and running so I suppose all is gravy

Share This Forum!