Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru
 
 

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Hall of Knowledge > The Campfire > Heroes & AI

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:35 AM // 05:35   #1
Gabs88
Desert Nomad
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Discordway post 6th jan patch

Just came back to the game and started looking over the different changes and builds. Has anyone tried implenting a more nuke focused Discordway post patch? It should be a quite significant improvement as far as Deathly Swarm goes
Gabs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:32 AM // 07:32   #2
chullster
Lion's Arch Merchant
 
chullster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Blighty, Land of bad weather and plucky Brits
Guild: R.I.P. DJ HMS [BZRK]
Default

no, mainly because discordway team builds are too slow and outdated.
chullster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:08 AM // 08:08   #3
Venganza
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Guild: Fire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chullster View Post
no, mainly because discordway team builds are too slow and outdated.
Yeah, I don't know of anyone who uses Discord since 3h limit was sorted.
Venganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:59 AM // 09:59   #4
turbo234
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WI
Profession: Mo/
Default

pretty sure a lot of people use something close to what i use:
soul twisting rit
n/rt healer w/ icy veins
panic mesmer
ineptitude mesmer
AotL mm
fire ele
and last depends on area.
when i vq or do anything hard mode related, i barely have to pay attention most of the time and can aggro several groups and walk away.
still able to kill quick + good protection.
turbo234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:25 AM // 10:25   #5
HigherMinion
Forge Runner
 
HigherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Anglia, UK
Guild: Order of [Thay]
Profession: N/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venganza View Post
Yeah, I don't know of anyone who uses Discord since 3h limit was sorted.
To be honest, I think it's funny how people attribute the downfall of Discord to the introduction of 7H. Discord is actually stronger since the acquirement of seven heroes.

You have your three single-target, hybrid Discord heroes dealing single-target spike damage with hybrid stuff, like heals and command skills/prot, etc. then you bring AoE stuff on the other characters, it's obvious. You don't have to take two monks, etc.

People are jumping at the chance to say they dislike Discord because it makes them look less stupid, when it's having the opposite effect. Or rather, it would have the opposite effect if everyone wasn't following suit.
HigherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:53 AM // 10:53   #6
Venganza
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Guild: Fire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherMinion View Post
People are jumping at the chance to say they dislike Discord because it makes them look less stupid,
Go do Gloom HM no cons and Mallyx no cons and see how you go? Painful with discord (if you can do it), I have little trouble, so I know what setups I will continue to use.

Like the previous poster commented, discord simply isn't as effective as combos with mesmers, no shutdowns and way too slow.

Oh also 7h? Where on earth did you get that from? I said 3h... aka now Razzha prof can be change + mercs, thus 3 mes is a no brainer now.

Why would I want more than one single MM running 19 points death magic = 11 x level 21 minions, more than enough meat shield and no exhaustion of corpses
Venganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:39 AM // 11:39   #7
Andemius
Krytan Explorer
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Guild: Vanguard's Last Stand [Hero]
Profession: W/
Default

Quote:
To be honest, I think it's funny how people attribute the downfall of Discord to the introduction of 7H. Discord is actually stronger since the acquirement of seven heroes.
Gonna have to agree with this tbh. Ive used discord with the 7h for ages and only very recently bothered changing it.
Andemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:57 AM // 11:57   #8
tenderpoison
Frost Gate Guardian
 
tenderpoison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Omnipresent
Profession: A/
Default

You people would be amazed of how many people still use Discord nowadays. I won't say it's bad or good, I guess it just depends on everyone's playstyle and everything. I (on my elementalist) personally use a Healing Burst monk, a N/Rt healer, an MM, 1 Panic / E-Surge, 1 Shared Burden, 1 Ineptitude and one VoS derv. It takes like literally just a few seconds for a group to die. Never tried it in Elite areas, but in all the other areas and so far it works great for me. And as a personal note : for me, it works faster than Discord.
tenderpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:17 PM // 12:17   #9
aspi
Desert Nomad
 
aspi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Guild: eeew
Profession: N/Rt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venganza View Post
Go do Gloom HM no cons and Mallyx no cons and see how you go? Painful with discord (if you can do it), I have little trouble, so I know what setups I will continue to use.

Like the previous poster commented, discord simply isn't as effective as combos with mesmers, no shutdowns and way too slow.

Oh also 7h? Where on earth did you get that from? I said 3h... aka now Razzha prof can be change + mercs, thus 3 mes is a no brainer now.

Why would I want more than one single MM running 19 points death magic = 11 x level 21 minions, more than enough meat shield and no exhaustion of corpses
Yes, because GLOOM HM is the only thing to do in guild wars.
aspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:37 PM // 12:37   #10
Spiritz
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Guild: DMFC
Default

I was never a fan of discordway and sadly now i do tend to use 7h dway but i will still say that dway has quite a few drawbacks.Yes it can fly thru most zones but because of that you will get a seriously huge drop in any drops you get.Also blasting thru things may sound really gd but as many will agree - its just button mashing and you lose the ability to think of own builds etc.
Ive played gw for 5 yrs now and done campaigns multiple times so using dway isnt really an issue - theres plenty of better builds out there.

Also the only reason dway works is because of the ar ignoring dmg - something that eles dont have atm.Before anyone says "oh but eles can nuke" - in hm any aoe will cause foes to split and thats not what you want.Why take an ele when you could easily add another discord necro ?
Spiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:39 PM // 12:39   #11
Jeydra
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venganza View Post
Yeah, I don't know of anyone who uses Discord since 3h limit was sorted.
*raises hand*

I'm not yet certain I'll settle into Discord, but it's certainly an option. The problem is that with Invoke nerfed, there is no replacement template that's as good and as effective in all areas of the game. Fire Eles work to some extent, but against monsters with huge armour vs. Fire (Destroyers, Burning Spirits, etc) they're clearly subpar. What's going to take the place? Discord stands out as one of the few options around. I'm not convinced it's ideal yet, but I won't say it's weak either (I never did). Incidentally I'll also say that I find Discord considerably weaker than pre-nerf Invoke Lightning even after change to HM, so this is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

As for Gloom HM, Discord clearly does not work well there because of the massive number of foes. Fire clearly dominates in an AoE contest.

Last edited by Jeydra; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM // 12:46..
Jeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:47 PM // 12:47   #12
Gabs88
Desert Nomad
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

You use it with Deathly Swarm or without?
Gabs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:49 PM // 12:49   #13
Jeydra
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

With, obviously. If you were to put together a Discord bar carrying Fall Back, what else would you use?
Jeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 PM // 12:53   #14
Gabs88
Desert Nomad
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Well prepatch you wouldnt bother bringing it at all really, armor levels and all.
Gabs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:01 PM // 13:01   #15
Kunder
Desert Nomad
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

2x Deathly Swarm
4x Searing Flame

Macro all 6 to one key, AoE Discord on steroids. Make mobs explode instantly.

Rest of group throw in imba defense from ST rit/SY player/Emo/whatever. Make sure player carries EBSoH.
Kunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:34 PM // 13:34   #16
Xenomortis
Tea Powered
 
Xenomortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Profession: N/
Default

How do you manage to bind skills from six heroes when the option only exists to bind skills on the first three?
Xenomortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:45 PM // 14:45   #17
Dzjudz
Furnace Stoker
 
Dzjudz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Guild: gwpvx.com/user:dzjudz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeydra View Post
The problem is that with Invoke nerfed, there is no replacement template that's as good and as effective in all areas of the game. Fire Eles work to some extent, but against monsters with huge armour vs. Fire (Destroyers, Burning Spirits, etc) they're clearly subpar. What's going to take the place? Discord stands out as one of the few options around.
7HPS and RoJway were around long before the update and don't use Discord.
Dzjudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:51 PM // 14:51   #18
Yuna Matsumarui
Frost Gate Guardian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Profession: Me/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder View Post
2x Deathly Swarm
4x Searing Flame

Macro all 6 to one key, AoE Discord on steroids. Make mobs explode instantly.

Rest of group throw in imba defense from ST rit/SY player/Emo/whatever. Make sure player carries EBSoH.
I don't think it's possible to macro them to one key, let alone force skills that are not on heroes 1-3 by buttons.
Yuna Matsumarui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:52 PM // 14:52   #19
Xenomortis
Tea Powered
 
Xenomortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: UK
Profession: N/
Default

External macros can achieve that.
Xenomortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:16 PM // 15:16   #20
Gabs88
Desert Nomad
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzjudz View Post
7HPS and RoJway were around long before the update and don't use Discord.
RoJ heroway is far superior for a good melee character, but for a caster it's not a good option. And 7 HPS was never superior to SDM in the first place. Just dumbed down
Gabs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This Forum!  
 
 
           

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 PM // 23:37.


Vote on the Guild Wars Top 200
Guild Wars Top 200 - Cheats Free Guides, Downloads, Fansites. The Gold standard

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.