Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru

Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:49 PM // 16:49   #1
Alexia
Server Kitten

Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Broken thumbnails on your Auction?

If you starting to see broken thumbnails on your auctions, this is intended. We have temporarily disabled thumbnail generation until we can implement a fix for the high server load it causes.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:15 PM // 20:15   #2
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

Location: Prolly lurking around on Guru Auctions (UN:killargh)(Store:The Pink Market) if anyones interested ;D
Guild: Society Of Souls [Argh]
Profession: R/

nuuuuu my auction piccys... lol, but yeh anyway's :3 Is it worth trying to upload em with a different link for the time being? or will the same thing happen? since I still have got a few auctions with there images. :O

Thanks Find&Seek.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:50 PM // 21:50   #3
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Guild: Gems of Destiny
Profession: D/

For the time being, let's let it go without images. It seems that the server load problem was coming from the script recaching thumbnails every time the page was loaded (especially when they were hosted elsewhere). Alexia assures me she can fix the script, it just isn't going to to happen today.

Thanks for your patience and thanks to Alexia for dealing with it and letting us know
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:34 PM // 12:34   #4
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

Location: Prolly lurking around on Guru Auctions (UN:killargh)(Store:The Pink Market) if anyones interested ;D

okies, thanks you both for the update.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:05 AM // 09:05   #5
curiousanger
Ascalonian Squire

Profession: E/

Will we have to re-add images to auctions that are already open/drafts if the script is fixed?
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:14 PM // 20:14   #6
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

I assume there's been no up-date to the thumbnails/images thing but is there any estimated time you can give us for when they will back up and running like normal :x its gettin a lil depressin lookin at this lol.

Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:08 PM // 16:08   #7
Alexia
Server Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_&_Seek View Post
I assume there's been no up-date to the thumbnails/images thing but is there any estimated time you can give us for when they will back up and running like normal :x its gettin a lil depressin lookin at this lol.

I apologize for the wait on this issue. Fixing the third party code to work properly is proving more difficult due to the need to work with the vendor to get other pieces fixed.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:40 PM // 16:40   #8
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

well thanks anyways, *fingers crossed* its soon hehe, tho there seems to be more issues now with this server than the previous .
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:32 PM // 16:32   #9
Saxxon Askanius
Wilds Pathfinder

Guild: wiki/Guild: Mundane_Fabulous_Knights
Default Guru Auctions - Pictures sell strategy

Will be thumbnails reanimated or should we better condole?
Thanks in advance, Saxxon. :)
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:36 PM // 22:36   #10
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

I've just finished sorting my images out by adding them to the description boxes so I guess it will have to do for now, but it starting to get on my wick I mean from what I can understand now its been over 2 months , no offence guys but am kinda losing faith that this wont get fixed lol.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:39 AM // 02:39   #11
Wynthyst
Site Contributor

Guild: Gems of Destiny
Profession: D/

There is actually a very good chance that this won't get fixed. It was not what I was lead to believe when it first occurred. Simple fact is, we are looking at a complete overhaul of the entire Guru site (new forum software, new skin, everything) and that is going to include a new auction system. The ProBid software we have been running has been buggy and horrible since we started with it 3 years ago. It's horrible to maintain, and takes an extreme toll on server resources. The mail client works about 10% of the time.

I've been discussing all of the issues with Kvinna, and the Curse team. We all feel that getting us better software (potentially even something custom built) would be better for us all in the long run.

We don't have a solid timeline for any of this, which is why it hasn't been announced to the rest of the community. Curse is in the process of hiring a bunch of new developers and until that actually happens, things are just kind of on a priority hotlist, and fixing these pictures is not a hot enough issue to rank on it (sorry).
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:56 AM // 02:56   #12
Zador
Pre-Searing Cadet

Guild: Communitas Draconis
Profession: E/Mo

still no update or news on this issue?

I see some shops have pics, but if i try to upload a shop pic, it keeps displaying a broken image.

~Z~
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:31 AM // 01:31   #13
Find_&_Seek
♪ Nyan Nyan Nyan Nyan ♪

The only way to use images for auctions currently is via this method, and unfortunatly there has been no updates about displaying thumbnails .

Last edited by Find_&_Seek; Mar 03, 2011 at 01:35 AM // 01:35..
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:11 AM // 04:11   #14
Zador
Pre-Searing Cadet

Guild: Communitas Draconis
Profession: E/Mo

thx for your reply.

~Z~
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:10 PM // 21:10   #15
Nalia
Academy Page

Guild: Psychic Distraction [PD]

have you considered for the time being to simply remove the thumbnail from the list view of the auctions? you wouldnt even have to really modify code too much i would assume probably just put some php or html comments around blocks of code that generate that specific img tag
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:21 PM // 17:21   #16
Emesis
Krytan Explorer

Default Exciting

Well I understand the issues as outlined by Wynthyst regarding the pictures and priorities. I think it sounds pretty positive that the bigger issue of the auction software is being looked at rather than just little fixes. There has been many problems with the auctions over the years and a new auction system in the future sounds better than a small band-aid now - emesis

Oh yeah, if we add the pics into the description field as quite a few have been doing since this problem started, does that continue to create excess load on the server? Or is it just the links themselves?

Last edited by Emesis; Apr 11, 2011 at 05:24 PM // 17:24..
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:36 PM // 17:36   #17
Ascalonian Squire

Guild: Us Are Not [leet]
Profession: Mo/

Literally all of my thumbnails on the auction site have been broken for months. i dont even remember the last time i saw a picture. Now that i think about it, the non thumbnail pics were broken too..so there is little chance of this getting repaired?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:58 PM // 18:58   #18
Emesis
Krytan Explorer

I think that is a big NO

Share This Forum!