Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru
 
 

Go Back   Guild Wars Forums - GW Guru > The Hall of Knowledge > Gladiator's Arena

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:26 PM // 15:26   #1
Killed u man
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Advertisement

Disable Ads
Default Borat's Guide To Pugging Correctly

I pug. I said it, I pug alot... It's not a secret, and it's not a crime... And I'm here to help some people improve their pugging experience. With HA activity at an all-time low, pugging is the only option most people have right now. (I can only play with my guild from 7-8 PM GMT+1 -If I wanna form before that, I have to pug an intire team)

Therefor, I'm going to write down a few simple and easy guidelines which most of you should know, but are worth noting down nonetheless. It should help some new people learn some basics about pugs aswell.


1) Build

Balanced can not be pugged, so don't attempt at doing so. Sure, U see some high-ranked players look for a Rxx+ pug for balanced every now and then, but most of the people already in the group know eachother, and know their "skills".

There is a common misunderstanding as to why U don't pug balance. People think it's because a balance requires alot of coordination to work, yet in reality, the reason why pugging a balance fails, is because the pugs you get, are most likely not used to running balanced. It hasn't got anything to do with coordination, but rather with the players themselves, who are incapable of running their builds proporly.

So unless you know you're going to get 5-7 reliable people, who you have seen play balanced in HoH (observer), or who you simply know arn't bad, refrain yourself from forming balanced.

Instead, form "easy fame" builds. Hexway, bloodspam, or any buttonbash gimmick comes to mind. Try and save the more skillfull builds for when you play with your guild.



2) Language

Again, something severly underrated by some people. I, myself, am pretty notorious for bashing at bad euro's. The general rule here is simple: If they do not speak the language of the pug-group (Most likely to be english), do not take them.

I have had to kick enough frenchies and germans because they don't speak/understand a word English. *This is NOT negative discrimination* You might get a good run with those people every now and then, but when the battle speeds up on a cap points map, having someone who doesn't understand a word you're saying can definatly cost you the match. Try and avoid this from happening, and don't take said pugs. You'll safe yourself alot of raging...



3) Guilds

Pay attention to guild tags. A guild tag is more than 2 brackets with some letters in between them. It's a tagsign which tells exactly how and what the player plays.

In the old days, if you pugged somebody with the tag [SoG], you knew you had to put this player on an easy bar. Offensive to some? Bullsht... It's the truth. A tag gives you a base on which you can judge a player, and in reality is one of the 2 things that can help you determinate how good a player will be. (Rank and Guild)

Tough, bear in mind that you should know your exceptions. Someone who is in [dR], [eF], ... doesn't necessarily mean they are good players. As most of you know, alot of people buy invites to top guilds, in order to leech their capes.

Thats why the guild tag is a guideline, not a rule. But the in the large majority of cases, the guild tags truly displays what you will get. There is several renowned HA guilds (and tag) for the builds they play. If you don't think someone from a hexway/rspike guild is up for the task, simply do not take him.

Last week, I had a pug from [eXo] (It's a PvE bspam guild) who somehow got rank9. I decided to give him a shot, only to find that he didn't know what armor + sets where, he had no clue how to weapon swap. He only spoke german, and so on. I should have followed my gut, and simply say: No thank you. And you should do so aswell.


4) Observer

Probably the most important factor in pugging. Observe alot... It's something I do naturally, when I don't feel like playing myself, you can usually find me observering (and flaming ) HoH and GvG matches.

This has given me a nice edge in knowing pugs. I can immediatly tell wether or not I should take XX-pug, because I've seen him play/fail on observer.

So when you're obsering matches, don't just observe the general play, but also select people at random, and look at how they play. -weapon swap, die on 40/40?!, etc...-


5) Inactivity

HA is as inactive as ever. (I can really repeat over and over) Whereas my guidelines do give a good idea on how to select people, bear in mind that there isn't alot of people playing anymore. I still have to take atleast 1-2 bad people every time I pug, simply because there isn't any more people playing. And more often than not, we also loose because these people failed beyond reasonable believe. (And then they usually rage themselves, pretending it's the team's/your fault, while typing an excessive amount of "Lulz", "xD" and "noob")

So keep in the back of your mind that you can't be too picky, and if necessary, safe some true bitchbar roles for the worst players. You're doing both them, and yourself a favor this way...

Last edited by Killed u man; Oct 05, 2009 at 05:31 PM // 17:31..
Killed u man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:07 PM // 16:07   #2
Masmar
Krytan Explorer
 
Masmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Guild: We Gat Dis [HRUU]
Profession: E/
Default

Quote:
I have had to kick enough frenchies and germans because they don't speak/understand a word English. *This is NOT negative discrimination*
Yes, it is. Even doing it ingame is discrimination, but you can get around that. Posting something like that in public forums is just stupid and arrogant
Masmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:33 PM // 16:33   #3
Killed u man
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination

treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

The person in question does NOT speak English. If he does not speak english, he is NOT equal to someone who does in a pug situation, because he can't coordinate with the team. Therefor NOT taking someone who speaks english is positive discrimination, and should be promoted in such way it will improve your pug experience...
Killed u man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 04:53 PM // 16:53   #4
Gift3d
Forge Runner
 
Gift3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Guild: Enraged Whiny Carebears [oR]
Profession: W/E
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmar View Post
Yes, it is. Even doing it ingame is discrimination, but you can get around that. Posting something like that in public forums is just stupid and arrogant
if someone can't understand a word you're saying, aka there being no communication in a game where communication is extremely important, there's no negative discriminating whatsoever there. what in the living hell were you thinking? he's right. afk hiring an english<->japanese translator that speaks only german.

anyways this is actually a helpful guide because it's 100% true. also why i stopped playing ha, because of the ridiculous standards you have to set, the atrocious quality of players, and the absurd guidelines you have to follow just to win. but if you're keen on doing it at this point in time, this is how it's gotta go unfortunately. zz i'll never see r11.
Gift3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:22 PM // 17:22   #5
Akaraxle
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Akaraxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Italy
Profession: E/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed u man View Post
2) Language

Again, something severely underrated by some people. I, myself, am pretty notorious for bashing at bad euros. The general rule here is simple: If they do not speak the language of the pug-group (Most likely to be english), do not take them.

I have had to kick enough frenchies and germans because they don't speak/understand a word English. *This is NOT negative discrimination* You might get a good run with those people every now and then, but when the battle speeds up on a cap points map, having someone who doesn't understand a word you're saying can definitely cost you the match. Try and avoid this from happening, and don't take said pugs. You'll save yourself a lot of raging...
Yours truly,

Akaraxle from Italy.


Post scriptum:
Quote:
one of the 2 things that can help you determinate how good a player will be. (Rank and Guild)
Hombre, seriously, don't take this personally but non-scrubs haven't been taking rank seriously since 2005. There is only 1 thing that can help you determine (oops, missed this one: determinate is an adjective) how good a player will be: friendlist.

Last edited by Akaraxle; Oct 05, 2009 at 05:25 PM // 17:25..
Akaraxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:26 PM // 17:26   #6
Masmar
Krytan Explorer
 
Masmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Guild: We Gat Dis [HRUU]
Profession: E/
Default

Says the guy refusing to go by any "roly poly euro schedule" just because it doesnt suit him.

That is discrimination, it might aswell be the definition of it, everyone is forced into one district and then people refuse to take others because of the language, although i can see your point.
But im not goingto get into QQ flame wars about it, apart from that good guide
Masmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:27 PM // 17:27   #7
Gift3d
Forge Runner
 
Gift3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Guild: Enraged Whiny Carebears [oR]
Profession: W/E
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaraxle View Post
Yours truly,

Akaraxle from Italy.


Post scriptum:

Hombre, seriously, don't take this personally but non-scrubs haven't been taking rank seriously since 2005. There is only 1 thing that can help you determine (oops, missed this one: determinate is an adjective) how good a player will be: friendlist.
rank shows experience not skill. and experience is half the battle. if it's a pug... well i'd rather have an experienced pug with no skill, than an inexperienced pug with no skill.
Gift3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:28 PM // 17:28   #8
Killed u man
Forge Runner
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default

Ye, I never said my spelling is flawless. I know I make a lot (or alot?!) of spelling mistakes, but you can honestly count those on one hand.

I have issues with "a lot/alot", any word that ends with "ly" -actively, severely- and a few others.

Point is you need to speak and understand English fluently.
Killed u man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:34 PM // 17:34   #9
turbo234
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: WI
Profession: Mo/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmar View Post
Yes, it is. Even doing it ingame is discrimination, but you can get around that. Posting something like that in public forums is just stupid and arrogant
no it's not. if you can't communicate then you're better off parting ways.
turbo234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 05:55 PM // 17:55   #10
Eduhard
Frost Gate Guardian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Guild: X Knock Out X [KO]
Profession: Me/
Default

I've been pugging with a german monk that can't say a single word in english and still heals like a freekin beast....btw I know comunication it's important in some areas but that doesn't mean insta-kick...
Eduhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 06:32 PM // 18:32   #11
Akaraxle
Wilds Pathfinder
 
Akaraxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Italy
Profession: E/
Default

Hey, you were a good sport about this. Scrub check: pass!

On the subject of rank, the "exp. pug with no skill > inexp. pug with no skill" shtick has been going on for years. The truth is, you've always been better off with friends, and if you didn't have any you could always pick people with little experience but good potential. I don't know what I would've done if it wasn't for a couple friends that let me play in their r9+ group when I was a mere 3, back in tombs days.
Akaraxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 07:47 PM // 19:47   #12
Rodamus Kantheeze
Ascalonian Squire
 
Rodamus Kantheeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Profession: W/
Default

I don't know about you guys, but I find the playing of "beginner" builds in HA quite boring. However I agree that it is quite rare to find "balanced" pug teams to join in HA when you're low on the totem pole. Although I've probably played 30 - 40 HA games in the last week and a half, the only team I was in that made it to the halls was a "balanced" pug. I disagree with the OP's idea of how lower ranked players are unable to play "balanced" builds, granted they may not be able to play as well as someone whose been playing this game for 4+ years, but nonetheless a lower ranked player can still play well enough to get to the halls.
Rodamus Kantheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:02 PM // 20:02   #13
stanzhao
Frost Gate Guardian
 
stanzhao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default

anyone who says language is discrimination is an idiot.

you basically cant discuss builds, or tell people what they need to do etc, especially in a pug. hence the reason they have seperated districts in the first place, so you are more likely to get people who you can understand and visa versa. i dont wanna play with someone who just cant understand me, its not fun for anyone.

player 1: 'okay, you go camp that dude'

player 2: 'que?'

player 1:'that dude, there, go hit his shit'

*they die*

player2: 'el terribleh'

*player 2 has left the game*
stanzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:10 PM // 20:10   #14
Eduhard
Frost Gate Guardian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Guild: X Knock Out X [KO]
Profession: Me/
Default

It's more often like:

player 1: 'deja al guerrero copón!'
player 2: what?¿ speak english you idiot, everybody in the game has to speak english because jesus said so...damn nerds....
player 1: omg....
player 2 left the game

/facepalm
Eduhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 09:01 PM // 21:01   #15
Hells Fury
Krytan Explorer
 
Hells Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Profession: W/D
Default

"HA is as inactive as ever. (I can really repeat over and over)..."
You sure can, it sure is...
Hells Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 11:52 PM // 23:52   #16
Edwards
Lion's Arch Merchant
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Guild: After This Game Its Baby Making [Time]
Default

My guide to pugging:

Get two friends who can monk, then tab + add.

Much less stressful, I find.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:41 AM // 00:41   #17
Reverend Dr
Forge Runner
 
Reverend Dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Guild: Super Fans Of Gaile [ban]
Profession: W/
Default

Reverend Doctor's guild to pugging:

1) Don't
Reverend Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 12:44 AM // 00:44   #18
Vdawg1337
Ascalonian Squire
 
Vdawg1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: You dont need to know :)
Guild: Damage Radius [dr]
Profession: D/A
Default

Theres a correct way to PUG?
What have i been doing all these years i wonder O.o
Vdawg1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:52 AM // 03:52   #19
Arcole
Frost Gate Guardian
 
Arcole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The other side of the rainbow
Guild: Medieval Knights of Darkness [MKOD]
Profession: N/
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Dr View Post
Reverend Doctor's guild to pugging:

1) Don't
QTF

And Eduhard, I agree, even though I am English myself I find many people bitching about how they hate people who don't speak English, usually when they are in a group which is 6/8 not-English.

It' a good guide, but it thoroughly amuses me that in a thread about HA almost half of the posts are about discrimination, which does not contribute in any way whatsoever.
Arcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:55 AM // 05:55   #20
KZaske
Jungle Guide
 
KZaske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boise Idaho
Guild: Druids Of Old (DOO)
Profession: R/Mo
Default

HA is the only PvP I am really interested in. I started playing AB to get a handle on basic PvP concepts (I went from r5 Kurz to max doing AB) then played a few rounds of HA. I started showing up in the hall for groups got a few pugs and got lucky enough to make it to the Hall of Heros, once. I am now an r1 hero and have not even gone back to try to get into a pug in months. At the time pugs were forming, but they almost never actually enter battle because the leader would get an offer from a ranked group and say so long loosers.
If HA really is dead enough that pugs are actually going into battle I for one say it is a good thing. A chance for me to improve as a player and get my wolf emote.

BTW: the only time I made it into the Hall of Heros it was with a randomway unranked pug.
KZaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This Forum!  
 
 
           

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 AM // 07:49.


Vote on the Guild Wars Top 200
Guild Wars Top 200 - Cheats Free Guides, Downloads, Fansites. The Gold standard

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.